What documents do I need to sell my house? – The ultimate guide to sell your property in Spain.

If you want to sell your home and you don’t know where to start, this is the post you need. We answer the main question that arises to all sellers: What documents do I need to sell my house?

Before starting the process, it is necessary to be clear about what information you will need. There are many people who decide to sell their home and do not know what information they should have available for potential visitors.

1.   Description of your home.

If you decide to hire a real estate agent to sell your home, he will be responsible for collecting the necessary data in his/her visit to your home.

However, it is convenient that you make a prior recognition yourself and have at hand some information related to:

Description of the apartment:

How would you describe your home objectively : How would you describe your home objectively, What qualities should potential buyers know that can not be seen on a first visit?: There are things that can only be perceived when you live in the house. Do you have quiet neighbors? Do you see the sunset?

Description of the neighborhood:

Is the house in an urbanization? Is it closed? Does it have security?

Do you have common areas? Are they open all year?

What are the rules of the neighborhood community? Are animals allowed?

 What is the area like and what services does it offer? Are there local restaurants or shops nearby? Is there public transport? How far is the nearest shopping center?

It is also recommended that you locate the book of the building as it may contain information of interest about the facilities.

The floor plans of the house:

Floor plans and the information about who is the president of the community or the administration in charge of it, is also information that should be at hand when starting the sale process. It will avoid possible delays at the time of signing the selling contract.

2.   Documentation

The real estate agent in charge of managing the sale of your home, will ask for the documentation you need at each moment of the process. This documentation will be related to:

Title of deed:

It is the document in which the current owner of the house appears. This document is registered in the Property Registry of the population of the property.


You must present an official document such as the DNI / NIE, to verify that you are the owner of the property.

Simple Registry Note:

This document certifies the name of the owner and the possible cargo such as mortgage or other conditions. If the bank is not owed anything, in the Nota simple of the property it should appear that the property is free of charges. Ths document must be less than 3 months old.

Local tax (IBI) and rubbish:

The last paid receipt of the IBI Tax must be presented. This is the tax that charges the fact of owning a property. Sometimes, the notary can request up to the last 5 receipts.

Certificate of being free of charges:

It will be necessary to request a certificate from the administrator of the community in where it is established that the owner of the property does not have any payment of community fees pending. This document must be duly signed by the Administrator-Secretary and the president of the community must give his approval.

Certificate of pending debt and Registration Cancellation:

This certificate will be necessary if the owner is still paying a mortgage for the selling house. It specifies the amount that is owed at the time of the transfer of the home.

Energy efficiency certificate:

Mandatory from June 1, 2013. This certificate indicates the degree of efficiency of a home on a scale from A to G. If this document is not available, we may be sanctioned with fines of between 300 and 6,000 euros.

First occupation license:

Guarantees that the property meets certain minimum levels so that the place can be inhabited. The certificate of habitability analyzes aspects of housing such as hygiene and the solidity of the structure of the passenger compartment.

Statutes of the Community of owners:

Although it is not always necessary, the buyer can ask to be given the statutes of the community where the rules of the owners are established.

3. Professional advice:

Facing the challenge of selling a home can become a chaotic process if we are unfamiliar with its procedure. In addition to knowing what information and documentation we must prepare to sell a home, it is also important to know where we should request each certificate, how much money it may cost, and above all, where we should ask for it .

Also when selling a home without the help of a specialized real estate agent, you should considerate certain aspects as: you should be able to answer the phone at almost any time (losing a call can mean the loss of the visit and sale), receiving people who haven’t been “filtered” before entering your home, have a brad schedule for the visits, etc…

If you want to know more about why choosing a real estate agency will avoid problems you can read more in the previous link. For all this, our main recommendation to sell your home, is to ask advice to real estate advisers in your area.

In addition to guiding you in the process, a professional real estate agent will help you set an appropriate price or improve the presence of your home to achieve greater profitability.

If you intend to sell a home on the Costa del Sol, from Andalucia Realty, we offer you our free advice services. Contact us!

Posted in: blog.agoramls.com

Author: César Villasante

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *