According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs the NIE in Spain or Foreigner Identity Number (“Número de Identidad de Extranjero”), is a unique number that all foreigners must have for identification purposes if:
- A procedure is initiated to obtain a document enabling them to remain in Spanish territory other than a visa.
- They have been the subject of an administrative enquiry under the provisions of the legislation on foreigners
- Because of their economic, professional or social interests, are connected to Spain.
Where can I apply for a NIE?
If you wish to obtain the NIE for professional or social economic interests, as may be the case if you wish to buy a property in Spain, you can apply for it at the Police Station, and at the Spanish Embassy or Consulates in your country of origin.
The NIE application can take approximately one week.
What documents do I need to apply for the NIE?
In order to apply for the NIE, it is necessary to provide certain documentation:
- Application form duly completed and signed. (You can access the following link to download the EX 15 form and you can find how to fill the EX 15 it with English explanations here)
- Valid passport – original and copy
- Payment of the administrative fee of 9.64€.
You can also contact us in the chat page or filling in the form, we will be happy to help you in the process of finding your ideal home.