Schedules and places to enjoy the Holy Week 2019 in Marbella, Estepona and San Pedro
If you come to the Costa del Sol during Easter and want to enjoy the processions and events in Marbella, Estepona or San Pedro, Andalucia Realty makes it easy for you. Check here the schedules and places, and don’t miss any of the processions with its spectacular thrones and Nazarene typical of the “Semana Santa”. At this time, the streets are flooded with the smell of incense from the processions that parade through the most emblematic squares and avenues of Marbella, Estepona and San Pedro. This is an event that attracts not only devoted, but curious people and tourists alike.
To make it even easier to enjoy the processions, thrones, parades and all the activities, we bring you the Easter Calendar of Marbella, San Pedro and Estepona this 2019. Discover where are the best places to see the Tronos and at what time the Semana Santa processions start!
EASTER 2019 PROCESSIONS SCHEDULE IN MARBELLA:
– Easter Monday: Departure of the Cristo Atado a la Columna at 20.30h in the Ermita del Santo Cristo, with the most outstanding areas in the Calle Ancha (song of Saetas) and Plaza Santo Cristo (encounter of the Thrones).
– Holy Tuesday: Departure of Jesus the Captive at 21.00 from the Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation, with the most prominent areas in the Plaza Puente de Málaga (tribune, and song of saetas), as well as in the Plaza de La Iglesia de Our Lady of the Incarnation, with the meeting of images and distribution of traditional sweets.
– Wednesday of Holy Week: Departure of Jesus the Nazarene from the church of Ntra. Sra. de la Encarnación at 20.30, with the most interesting places to see it in the Plaza Puente de Málaga (tribune, and singing of saetas), as well as in the Plaza de La Iglesia de Ntra. Sra. De la Encarnación, with the meeting of both thrones.
– Holy Thursday: On this day there are two processions, the firs one is Cristo De La Exaltación And María Del Calvario, departing at 18.00 from the Ermita del Calvario. The highlights are: The acts prior to the processional departure in the Plaza de la ermita del Calvario, the pass through the Plaza del puente de Málaga (processional parade) and the encierro again in the Plaza de la Ermita del Calvario (encounter of the images).
The second procession of the Christ of Love leaves at 20.00 from the Hermitage of Santiago, with the most outstanding spots in the Plaza de los Naranjos for the meeting of the images.
– Holy Friday: Departure at 20.30 from the Capilla del Santo Sepulcro, with the Legion guarding the throne. This is one of the most famous and emotional Easter processions in Marbella, both for the influx of followers and for the spectacle generated by the legionnaires, their songs and their show with their riffles. The most popular areas to see this parade are both the exit of the image of Nuestra señora de La soledad by the meeting between both images in the square of Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación), as in the area of seats in the Plaza Puente de Málaga, and the Encierro in the Plaza Santo Sepulcro.
– Easter Sunday: Departure at 12.00 from the church of Ntra. Sra. De la Encarnación, with a peripheral route through the square of the Málaga bridge towards the Alameda, going up c/ Huerta Chica back to the church for the closing (Encierro)
If you want to eat or have a drink in Marbella after the processions, don’t forget to book! In our blog we recommend you some of the best restaurants in Marbella.
HOLY WEEK 2019 IN SAN PEDRO: THRONES SCHEDULES AND BEST PLACES TO SEE IT
– Holy Wednesday: Via Crucis starting at 21.00 from c/ Revilla, passing through Calle Lagasca and Calle del Pozo, towards Avenida Oriental and ending again at the temple in Calle Revilla.
– Holy Thursday: Departure at 20.30 from the Parish Church of San Pedro de Alcántara. The procession of the Brotherhood of the Saint Nazareno. There is a later procession at 1.00am of the Brotherhood “El silencio”, from the parish of San Pedro de Alcántara.
– Holy Friday: Departure of the two thrones at 20.30 from the Parish Church of San Pedro de Alcántara (church square towards Revilla Street).
– Easter Sunday: The throne exits at 12.00 from Revilla Street towards the Avenida Oriental.
TIMETABLE AND ROUTES PROCESSIONS 2019 IN ESTEPONA:
– Holy Tuesday: Departure at 7.30 p.m. of The Passion procession, in the old town of Estepona.
– Wednesday Holy: Departure at 21.00 of the procession from Jesus Cautivo Street. We recommend to see this procession in the beginning (exit from the chapel), or in Ebro Street, where the lights are extinguished and they sing to the saint. Pick up at approximately 2.30h.
– Holy Thursday: Departure at 20.30 from the Iglesia del Carmen. Within the rute, we highlight the area of the terrace street (around 00.00) where both thrones meet.
– Holy Friday: Departure at 21.00 from the parish Santa Maria de Los Remedios, towards Plaza San Francisco, passing through the tribune area at 23.45, and closing at 1.00am.
– Easter Sunday: The procession begins at 11.00 am from the Parish Ntra. Sra. Del Carmen, to Plaza Padre Fernando, finishing the route in Casa Hermandad del Stmo. Cristo del Amor.
If you also want to take advantage of the good weather of the Costa del Sol by visiting some of the best golf courses in Marbella, Estepona or Benahavis, do not hesitate to check our blog so you get the best of your time in Costa del Sol.
If you fell in love with the Mediterranean and its people and you wish to consider buying a holiday apartment in Marbella, Estepona, Benahavis, Mijas etc, do not hesitate to contact us, we have access to the largest selection of properties throughout the Costa del Sol.